PLAN MY HOLIDAY:1 800 663 4431
NEW Doppelmayr Gondola
NEW Doppelmayr Gondola
SilverStar Mountain Resort is excited to announce the major investment of a new Doppelmayr gondola from the SilverStar Village to the Summit. This project will see the replacement of the existing Summit fixed grip double chair, which has been loading guests since 1970. The new high-speed detachable gondola cabins each provide seating for eight (8) and the provision of ski and board racks are provided outside, on door-mounted racks to maximize the comfort of the guests' ride.
“These new cabins will whisk guests from the bottom to the top of the Summit in a third of the time of the existing double chair. The ride will now take four and a half minutes from Village to summit traveling at five meters per second over a distance of 1063 metres with a vertical rise of 293 metres” says Brad Baker, Director of Operations and Maintenance for SilverStar.
The Gondola will feature floor to ceiling glass to provide the most spectacular views SilverStar has to offer. Initially, the lift will have 21 cabins with an uphill capacity of 1,200 people per hour with the capacity increasing to 43 cabins as per design in the future. The Gondola will service more than 16% of the existing terrain, plus provide the fastest access to the Comet and Alpine Meadows terrain pods from the Village. This lift also opens up a world of new possibilities for events, weddings, night skiing, SnowSports programs, and sightseeing.
“The gondola installation facilitates additional future capital improvement projects, such as the addition of an Alpine Restaurant between the Comet and the Gondola lift, installation of a lift in the Terrain Park, and options for a summer coaster or pipe,” according to Ken Derpak, Managing Director.
The work is to commence this month with the Engineering and design for an installation of the tower, top and bottom terminal foundations, as well as the targeted installation of the top station to be completed this Summer. The second and final stage of construction will resume ahead of a Grand Opening in July 2018.
“All of SilverStar is excited to celebrate our milestone 60th anniversary year with the completion of our new Gondola; this delivers a world class improvement to our guest experience for both winter and summer offerings, “says Jane Cann, Chair / President.
- Cabins are 8 passenger CWA Omega IV with external ski racks on the doors
- Standard face to face seating
- Door mounted ski racks
- Folding bench seats, lockable, deluxe upholstery with 1 1/2 ‘’ foam on three sides
- Fully automated safety door
- Tinted gray polycarbonate windows
- Vertically sliding windows
- Floor to ceiling glass glazing for unobstructed views
- All cabins have wide doors and standard seating for wheelchairs or freight
- 21 cabins initial, max 42 cabins final (1200 pph initial/2400 pph final, pph = people per hour uphill transport capacity)
- Max line speed is 5.08 m/s
- Ride time at 5.08 m/s is 4.4 minutes
- At 5.08 m/s there will be a cabin at loading every 24 seconds, with 122m between each cabin on-line (at initial 21 cabins)
- 12 towers, plus top and bottom terminals
- It’s a top drive, electric prime mover with diesel auxiliary and diesel evac motors
- Horizontal length is 1063 m
- Vertical rise is 293 m