Working under the direction of the SilverStar Executive Chef and the Head Chef, the Chef runs and operates the kitchen. The Chef’s focus is to produce proud Canadian local pub fair with guest experience as a top priority. Maintaining cost of goods sold and keeping track of wage to revenue are other key factors. The Chef must be able to work 10-12hr days during peak business times as the leader in the kitchen. The Chef must comply with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times. The Chef will also be responsible for creating daily and weekly specials, menu development and overall quality of the food.
Top four reasons to work as a Chef at SilverStar:
1. Flexibility: we will work with you to create a schedule the works for both the employee and SilverStar, allowing you lots of time to get out and enjoy ski/boarding/biking/hiking etc.
2. Networking: working closely with all Departments and building friendships that will last a lifetime, with both employees and guests.
3. Growth: the opportunity to expand your skills and knowledge through training and development. Work in a fast-paced, friendly environment.
4. Safety: this has always been our top priority for both our employees and guests. Since the Pandemic we have updated our policies. Please check our Covid Health and Safety commitment link here
- Coach and provide leadership to all of the kitchen team.
- Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff.
- Strong and effective communication with all departments specifically other Restaurants, groups and Catering. Being a leader for new seasonal chefs in other restaurants
- Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
- Coach and mentor new staff to ensure skills of team meet expectations for food quality, portions, and presentation.
- Strive to uphold a safe working environment and be Health and Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining and improving a safe work environment. Ensure maintenance requests, incident reports and incident investigations are submitted and followed up with.
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms and that food products are rotated to ensure high standards of freshness.
- Limiting wastage to ensure COG’s targets are met.
- Provide input for menus -- creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff -- to create a consistent and quality food product.
- Order an inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen ensuring to both eliminate outages or shorts and participate in any opportunities to minimize inventory levels, minimizing capital while ensuring clients' expectations are exceeded.
- Create, implement and maintain department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Seek opportunities to increase food revenue, decrease kitchen expenses and maximize departmental productivity without compromising our clients' satisfaction.
- Oversee food deliveries to ensure the products have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by provincial health regulations.
- Be the restaurant face for the kitchen and make an effort to talk with guests when time permits.
- Ensure the proper use of scales and measurements in all recipes, portioning, and food production by both yourself and the staff under your direct supervision.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Culinary Education Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent preferred.
- Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
- Food Safe Certification.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a Chef position in a high volume and mid to upscale environment.
- Minimum of 5 years' combined experience in the trade of cooking.
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand and manage COG’s, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.
Per week range between 20-40 F/T – Overtime as required
Possible Future Career Path:
- Head Chef
- Executive Chef
- Food and Beverage Manager
- Hospitality Director
As our recruitment video says “Not your ordinary 9 to 5”. We look for applicants that share in our passion for the outdoors and will embrace all that SilverStar has to offer. SilverStar is
part of the POWDR Group. POWDR is an Adventure Lifestyle Company® that is locally-focused and delivers soulful experiences because that’s what matters to our guests and communities. At SilverStar, we intend to Play Forever. We believe there is nothing better for the soul than to live a balanced life full of adventure, and we believe those in the future should have the same opportunities we have today. To make this happen, SilverStar is committed to doing all we can to protect the environment and enable participation in adventure.
If you care about the environment and are looking for a memorable, fun role that enhances people’s lives whilst having fun SilverStar is the place to be.
How to Apply for a job:
To apply for this career opportunity, please click here.
By submitting an application you are attesting that the information given is accurate.
Due to the volume of applications we will only be contacting applicants that we feel are most compatible for this position.See All Careers