Working under the direction of the SilverStar Executive Chef and the Head Chef, the Chef runs and operates the kitchen. The Chef’s focus is to produce proud Canadian local pub fair with guest experience as a top priority. Maintaining cost of goods sold and keeping track of wage to revenue are other key factors. The Chef must be able to work 10-12hr days during peak business times as the leader in the kitchen. The Chef must comply with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times. The Chef will also be responsible for creating daily and weekly specials, menu development and overall quality of the food
- Coach and provide leadership to all of the kitchen team.
- Ensure consistent food preparation and the highest caliber of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both, and ensuring communication to the kitchen staff.
- Strong and effective communication with all departments specifically other Restaurants, groups and Catering. Being a leader for new seasonal chefs in other restaurants
- Ensure that the morale of the kitchen staff is maintained by practicing positive strategies to motivate staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
- Coach and mentor new staff to ensure skills of team meet expectations for food quality, portions, and presentation.
- Strive to uphold a safe working environment and be Health and Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining and improving a safe work environment. Ensure maintenance requests, incident reports and incident investigations are submitted and followed up with.
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene is maintained in the various kitchen areas including refrigerators and storerooms and that food products are rotated to ensure high standards of freshness.
- Limiting wastage to ensure COG’s targets are met.
- Provide input for menus -- creating, developing, and recommending recipes for the use of other staff -- to create a consistent and quality food product.
- Order an inventory of food products for the preparation and operation, of an efficiently run kitchen ensuring to both eliminate outages or shorts and participate in any opportunities to minimize inventory levels, minimizing capital while ensuring clients' expectations are exceeded.
- Create, implement and maintain department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Seek opportunities to increase food revenue, decrease kitchen expenses and maximize departmental productivity without compromising our clients' satisfaction.
- Oversee food deliveries to ensure the products have been delivered and stored according to the standards set by provincial health regulations.
- Be the restaurant face for the kitchen and make an effort to talk with guests when time permits.
- Ensure the proper use of scales and measurements in all recipes, portioning, and food production by both yourself and the staff under your direct supervision.
- Culinary Education Trade Papers, Red Seal or equivalent preferred.
- Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
- Food Safe Certification.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a Chef position in a high volume and mid to upscale environment.
- Minimum of 5 years' combined experience in the trade of cooking.
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand and manage COG’s, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling.
- Computer literate with MS Office applications.
Type & Duration
Seasonal - November 18, 2019 to April 5, 2020. Per week range between 20-40 F/T – Overtime as required
$16 to $20 per hour depending on experience
Winter Season Pass, and other great benefits included.
How to Apply for a job:
To apply for this career opportunity, please click here.
By submitting an application you are attesting that the information given is accurate.
Due to the volume of applications we will only be contacting applicants that we feel are most compatible for this position.See All Careers