SilverStar is located within the stunning Okanagan Valley and is part of the POWDR Group. POWDR is an independent, family-owned and operated company that’s all about the community and protecting the adventure lifestyle for generations to come. POWDR has a diverse collection of businesses and destinations that includes 11 mountain resorts, the Woodward experiential action sports business, Powderbird heli-adventures, Sun Country Tours river rafting company and Outside TV, the leading video provider for the adventure sports and outdoor lifestyle. SilverStar Mountain Resort has evolved into a world-class winter holiday destination. Renowned for amazing snow conditions and crowned as one of Canada's favourite family resorts, guests visiting from around the world continue to experience the charm of its colourful mid-mountain village. Themed after an early 1900's mining town, the bars, restaurants and shops that line the charming main street is where you will find long-time residents and local characters that help give SilverStar its’ community feel.
The Director of Finance is directly responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of SilverStar Mountain operations. This role provides leadership and coordination in the business planning, accounting, auditing, financial reporting and budgeting efforts of the organization. The Director of Finance provides both operational and program support, as well as working in all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis and forecasting needs. Other responsibilities of the role include managing and developing the accounting team, and reviewing the activity within this accounting area, ensuring internal control compliance and timely, and accurate reporting. Oversee the functions of the resort spa and spa manager. Liaise with the IT manager, and day-to-day functions of the IT department.
Reports to General Manager – has two direct reports
Full Time Year Round
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect, interpret and report financial data.
- Participates as a member of the Senior Leadership Team with respect to: establishing company goals and policies, overseeing business operations, and ensuring the core values of financial strength, guest loyalty and employee experience are being supported and delivered.
- Attends Senior Leadership Team weekly and quarterly planning meetings and functions as a strategic leader.
- Leads all financial reporting, annual budgeting, monthly forecasting, capital planning and financial analysis for the resort.
- Report on a regular basis regarding company status against, and ability to meet, its strategic and operational objectives.
- Collect and analyse cost data versus budget for ascertaining financial performance and risk assessment
- Manage budget and controls expenses.
- Prepare reports and evaluations for individual projects.
- Develop, monitor and enforce policies and procedures relevant to accounting, budgeting, forecasting, and project tracking.
- Communicate and collaborate with departmental leaders to stay abreast of spending, budgeting, reports, and evaluation.
- Monitor legislation, regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to financial reporting and operations, and ensure SilverStar Mountain compliance.
- Lead and supervise finance department staff on accounting, reporting, internal controls, budgeting, and other financial matters.
- Collaborate with POWDR to establish and evaluate the company’s system of internal control including accounting systems and the safeguarding of the company’s assets. Establishes and reviews controls over cash and safeguarding of the company’s cash handling operations.
- Oversee the functions of the resort spa and spa manager, with a focus on financial results.
- Liaise with the IT manager, as a channel for communication between Powdr IT and SilverStar.
- Involved with the setup of POS software systems for GL import, revenue recognition, and reporting purposes.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in Business or Administration (or equivalent experience)
- An accounting designation (CA, CPA preferred)
- 10+ years in a Finance or Accounting position
- Extensive, experience and knowledge in dealing with accounting systems, budgets, internal controls, business planning, and asset management
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software and spreadsheet programs and applications an asset
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanour
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills
- Results focused
- Development and continual learning
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite
DISTIBUTION OF WORKLOAD:
This position should put appropriate effort on task based on the following distribution
Strategic Planning and Budgeting
Powdr Strategic Planning
Capital expenditure planning and ROI calculations
Products & Pricing planning
Financial Analysis and Reporting
Daily, bi-weekly, and monthly financial reports. POS sales reports as required.
Senior Leadership Team Functions and Communication
Weekly meetings; Seasonal planning
Oversee Resort Spa & Liaise with IT department
Software Setup & Maintenance
- Travel may be required
- Valid, clean BC driver’s license
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- May require weekend work
- Overtime as required
How to Apply for a job:
To apply for this career opportunity, please click here.
By submitting an application you are attesting that the information given is accurate.
Due to the volume of applications we will only be contacting applicants that we feel are most compatible for this position.See All Careers