The Ski Patrol is responsible for mountain safety, on hill risk management, hazard mitigation and resort emergency response. They often work on their own and must exhibit sound decision making, interpersonal skills, and a high level of professionalism. Patrollers must deliver all the duties as required by Silver Star Mountain in a safe and constructive manner and must have a proactive approach to safety initiatives and constantly seeking ways of improving mountain safety for its staff and visitors alike.
Top four reasons to work as a Ski Patroller at SilverStar:
1. Flexibility: we will work with you to create a schedule the works for both the employee and SilverStar.
2. Growth: the opportunity to expand your medical and technical skills and knowledge through training and development.
3. Safety: this has always been our top priority for both our employees and guests. Since the Pandemic we have updated our policies. Please check our Covid Health and Safety commitment link here
4. Environment: Work outside in a challenging environment, and where going to work includes putting on skis or a snowboard!
- Provide day to day support for the Safe operations of the Mountain.
- Be responsible for liaison with Patrol and Safety Manager, Assistant Patrol Manager and all Team Leaders in order to facilitate the safe and smooth running of the Mountain.
- Work effectively with all departments in particular Events, Lift Operations, Lift Maintenance and Grooming.
- Provide emergency response for guests and staff
- Attend and partake in daily training sessions
- Assist with avalanche control as needed
- Safe snowmobile operations
- Must be able to recognize hazards.
- Must be able to mark hazard properly with fencing or signage.
- Perform Lift evacuations.
- Open and Close the mountain daily as per procedures.
- Toboggan and equipment running.
- Provide missing person search and rescue efforts as required.
- Radio communication with mountain dispatch.
- Able to take direction from supervisors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 19 years of age or older
- Valid Occupational First Aid level 3 certificate, or Outdoor Emergency Care Certificate or a valid EMALB of British Columbia EMR, PCP or ACP license
- Emergency response and first aid skills and experience an asset
- Risk and Safety Awareness
- Valid Driver License with clear driving abstract
- Strong alpine skier/boarder/telemarker in all snow terrain and conditions
- Capable of skiing/riding with toboggans, fencing supplies and signage
- Rope Rescue knowledge, skills and certification an asset
- Avalanche and Snow study knowledge, skills and certification an asset
- Strong understanding of the topography of the mountain, lifts and terrain
- Physically fit with a high level of fitness and able to work in all weather conditions
- Strong human relation skills
- Committed and Honest worker
- Open minded and approachable personality
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations and emergencies
- Multi-Tasking ability
Per week range between 35-40 hours F/T
Operation hours can range from 7am till 10:30pm
As our recruitment video says “Not your ordinary 9 to 5”. We look for applicants that share in our passion for the outdoors and will embrace all that SilverStar has to offer. SilverStar is part of the POWDR Group. POWDR is an Adventure Lifestyle Company® that is locally-focused and delivers soulful experiences because that’s what matters to our guests and communities. At SilverStar, we intend to Play Forever. We believe there is nothing better for the soul than to live a balanced life full of adventure, and we believe those in the future should have the same opportunities we have today. To make this happen, SilverStar is committed to doing all we can to protect the environment and enable participation in adventure.
If you care about the environment and are looking for a memorable, fun role that enhances people’s lives whilst having fun SilverStar is the place to be.
How to Apply for a job:
To apply for this career opportunity, please click here.
By submitting an application you are attesting that the information given is accurate.
Due to the volume of applications we will only be contacting applicants that we feel are most compatible for this position.See All Careers